Monday, October 24, 2011

The birth of my Twins

Corbin Danny Deardorff and Connor Michael Deardorff suprised mommy and daddy when they decided to arrive into this world 8 weeks early. It all started Saturday Janurary 2, 2010. The day started out just like any other day. I got up and went to work at the bank from 8:45 to 11:00am and felt fine the whole time. When I got off of work I went to the grocery store to buy a few items and get a frozen pizza for lunch. I got home, brought the food into the house put it away and turned on the oven on to preheat for my pizza. As usual, I had to go to the bathroom, to my suprise when I went in there I noticed that I had some slight bleeding.

My whole pregnancy was really pretty easy with no complations so when I noticed the bleeding I started to freak out. I called the hospital and told them what was going on. Luckly my doctor was on call so I was able to talk to her. She informed me that it is normal to have some bleeding and not to worry. She did, however, want me to come in and get things checked out since we live and hour and a half away from the hospital. I grabbed a few things, just incase I was going to need to be observed over night. I knew that I was not emotionally stable enough to drive myself and Clint was out on a snowmobile trip so I called our friend Mallory. What a wonderfull friend she is, she immediately dropped everthing and came over to pick me up to take me to the hospital in Bozeman. Taylor offered to go out into the backcountry and find Clint so that he could be there with me. Since I didn't know what was going on I didn't want to worry him and figured I would contact him after I had been checked out at the hospital.

The whole drive to Bozeman I had a million thoughts running through my head. I did my best to stay talking with Mallory to keep my mind off of what was going on with my body. We finally got to the hospital at about 2:00 pm. The nursers took me back to Labor and Delivery, had me change into a hospital gown and started running some tests. After The doctor came in and checked things out, she told me that I was having minor contractions and was dialated to 1 cenimeter.

This was still not anything to be alarmed about, many women start labor weeks before actually delivering. She informed me that she wanted to give me steriod shots, just in case, and to monitor me over night since we live so far from the hospital. She also informed me that I was going to be put on bed rest and would not be able to return back to work.

It was about 3:30pm by now and I had Mallory call her husband Chad who was going to inform Clint what was happening. There was still no rush to have Clint at the hospital. As they continued to observe me I began to have more contractions, some of them even began to hurt. The doctor gave me some medication to help slow down the contractions and they continued to monitor me and the babies. Clint finally got back from his trip around 4:30 pm and was able to call and talk to me. I told him what was going on and he got things ready to come be with me in Bozeman.

He arrived at the hospital around 7:00pm. I was so glad that he was there with me. Over the next few hours as they continued to monitor me I had a few more contractions. By 10:00 pm I was starting to do better. Clint decided to try and get some sleep so he stayed the night at my cousin Adam and Matt's place. In the middle of the night at 2:45am I woke up to use the bathroom. To my suprise, again, while I was in the rest room my water began to break. The nurse called my doctor and I called Clint, he even got to the hospital before the doctor did. When the doctor came in she told us that the boys were going to be born some time that day, Janurary 3, 2010.

At this point the positioning of the boys and the progress of my contractions allowed for us to try to have the babies naturally. My contractions continued to get worse and I was able to get an epideral. It was very painful to have the needle poked into my spin but the pain medication made it worth it. By 9:30 am my labor was not progressing like they had hoped. Corbin and Connor were in two spearte sacks and my water had only broken for Corbin. Connor was doing fine but they had some concerns with Corbin. Being premature, out of the water sack, and not progressing he was getting alittle distressed. The doctor came in and gave us two options. She could either enduce me into labor, which could still take several hours, or she could do a c-section. I decided to have the c-section I was ready for the boys to be out and I didn't want to take the risk of labor still not progressing fast enough.

They wheeled me into the operating room and got me all preped for surgery. I was really nervous, not so much for the operation, but for the health of my two boys. After only 15 minutes I heard the first cry. Corbin Danny was born at 10:20am, he was 4 lbs .06 oz and was 18 inches long. One minute later at 10:21am Connor Michael was born , he weighed 4 lbs 2.5 oz and was 18 1/2 inches long. Clint went with the boys to the nursery where they were exaimened. I was in the operation room for aother 20 minutes while they stitched me back up. I was then taken to a recovery room for about an hour before I was able to go in a see my two beautiful boys

We weren't able to hold them yet but it was amazing to get to see and touch them. The rest of the day went by so fast. Clint and I were busy calling family and friends telling them the good news.

Clint, Heather, and Connor Deardorff


Clint, Heather, and Corbin Deardorff


Corbin Danny


Connor Michael


First time I got to hold my boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment